Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Self - Reflection

Dear world, aka myself,

I feel like I write on this blog when I want to professionally publish any philosophical musings I have.  These philosophical musings usually occur when I need to study and suddenly I just have to write down every single thought - good or bad- on a nearby scrap of paper or else I will dieeeee.  How cool is it to discover hidden depths through writing that you didn't know that you possessed before? God is so at work in our day to day lives.  He is so cool.   

I love reviewing my internal growth through writing.  I also have so much to continue to grow in. He is always so so so good.  

Recently, I have been feeling very imperfect, but yet I still have this overwhelming sense of worthiness.  I know that I am worthy of greatness and excellence and virtue, but I am so very imperfect and have very limited means of attaining these goals.

And yet, to be imperfect is to be human.  I am learning to compartmentalize work and play in order to not have an emotional response when someone constructively criticizes my work, instead of viewing them as criticizing my worth. That's part of being a student athlete who has deadlines and dates that I have to attend to.

Edith Stein has wise words for women in her Essay "The Separate Vocations of Man and Woman According to Nature and Grace."  She says that a woman's professional activity "counterbalances the risk of submerging herself all too intimately in another's life and thereby sacrificing her own; however, an exclusive preoccupation with her professional activity would bring the opposite danger of infidelity toward her feminine vocation."  There has to be balance in a woman's life or else she will be too involved in someone else's personal life and forget about her own life or if she is too involved in her professional life than she can neglect her duties as a wife and mother.  In order to achieve this balance of thinking objectively while understanding that feminity is a gift, women must go to God and "surrender themselves completely into the Lord's hands." (78).  Have I mentioned before how much I love Edith Stein? She gets it.  I just want to have her over to my room, drink tea and discuss masculinity and feminity.  

Junior year has been pretty hectic so far.  There is a general shift in how I present and view myself this year academically and socially and I am still adjusting to my journey and season of life.  Actually, junior year has been heavier and more serious, but also so much fun.  There is less awkwardness, but more pressure because you are pretty set in your major and have to work through it.  

But there is also this internal peace in knowing that I am where I need to be in my life and that I have the ability to take risks and grow in confidence and grace.  There is still a blessed openness to God's Will.      

And now I really do need to get back to studying,

TTFN! 
Robyn
    


No comments:

Post a Comment