Saturday, August 22, 2015

Rome Sweet Home

There is something so freeing and releasing about a blank slate. A new beginning. A foreign feeling of being somewhere that I don't quite belong, but also feeling inclined to stop and lean my ear against another's heart, understanding the rythym and beat of that particular heart, the pain and and the joys, the constants and inconstants.  At the same time realizing that culture, space, time and travel do not make a difference for the human heart beats with the same constancy of love. Every time I reflect in a church ornamented with the most beautiful paintings, frescos, and sculptures, I am reminded that the heart is the same familiar beat I hear every time I pray in front of the Tabernacle whereever I may be -  school, home, abroad - and I am reminded that home is where He resides.

The world is a massive massive place my friends and as my heart is taking in all of the wonders and history, my spirit within me feels smaller, but also more invincible. There are moments of doubts and worries of being on my own, but that is exactly how I feel in this life.

I feel alive and new.

That was written while I was abroad.  Now that I am starting my senior year, I am taking some time to reflect on some of the messages imprinted on my heart from only 1 month ago when I was in Italy.

The world is big and beautiful and, at night, scary.  Use reason. Trust God.  Don't just rely on faith to feel good, rather, expand, give, hurt, while seeking healing and deep, immesurable peace.

Know yourself and change your habits to probe deeper and deeper until your conscience is formed the right way.  

Review your journey.  The story that led you to become the person who you are today.  It is a story of fallenness but also grace.  Praise God for the grace He has given you.  Thank Him everyday.

Make the most of time.  Time is a gift to form relationships.  Don't take the people in your life for granted because one day your journey and their journey will change.

Yes, change is good, but change is hard.  Change is good when you know that God is leading you to become someone you couldn't be without His grace.

Never stop growing and serving and dying to self.  The Lord is going to use you in so many beautiful ways.  If only you could see yourself as Christ sees you.

Embrace beauty, embrace truth, and embrace the cross.

Rome, Rome,
How you remind me of home.
I taste sweet Heaven's gates
There is so much to see
In the goodness that surrounds me.

Shattered hearts, broken souls
Made anew, to be used as vessels.
Torch of truth blaze the way
Til our hearts are numb
And our hair is grey.

Cloaked in mystery
Shrouded by humanity
Yet, internally, there is such chemistry
A heart of gold lies within
Being purged from a world of sin.



No comments:

Post a Comment